From Sketch to Sorcerers

In this post: a walkthrough of the completed 'Sorcerer to the Crown' cover illustration, from inks to digital colours.

PART 1: Sorcerers, Studies, and SmArt School
PART 2: Creatures and Characters

It's been a while since I last wrote about this project, but here is an update! Previously I'd described the process up to the value sketch (read about it here); this post will take you through the colour studies, line drawing, ink and painting, and final digital adjustments.

COLOUR STUDIES: Exploring different options.

I was a fan of the more graphic, limited colours I accidentally generated when working on the colour studies, and #3 and #4 could also be interesting directions to pursue, but I decided to go with a cross between #6 and #8.

 DIGITAL LINE DRAWING: Fleshing out elements, figuring out the face.

DIGITAL LINE DRAWING: Fleshing out elements, figuring out the face.

Next up was to make a more detailed line drawing, where I worked out how different elements looked like in the image. I went through different iterations of the face as well; I tend to not draw particularly expressive faces, so I tried to push here to get an appropriately irreverent expression for Prunella. This won't be the end of the faces.

I printed out the digital lines, and transferred them to Arches watercolour paper using pastel pencil on the reverse of the printer paper - I scribbled out a layer of pastel, then turned it over and, using a pen to press down on it, traced out the lines. Much careful inking then followed; I'm using Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Ink here - a mix of sepia and black, diluted accordingly. Inking is therapeutic. There are few things more soothing than the sound of a brush going over paper, and the physical motions of making careful strokes. I loved drawing the map. But I managed to ink the face wrongly!

Thankfully, there's Photoshop.

I then laid down more ink washes to establish values on the piece, as much as it pains me to paint over those map lines. Next, I scanned the piece in portions, then stitched it using Photoshop's File > Automate > Photomerge command. The next big part to tackle was adding colours, layer after layer, making use mostly of Multiply, Overlay, and Screen modes. Justin Gerard's post on Muddy Colors here goes over the basics and I highly recommend reading it.

And Prunella's face gets redrawn! I sample some of the paper texture from the background to ensure that the new layers of (digital) ink and colour blend into the image. Taking a step back and leaving it for a few days helps; when I return, I get to tackling the lighting.

Many, many layers and adjustment layers later, we arrive at:

The whites of her skirt have been toned down, thanks to feedback in class from Marc, and the focus is on Prunella's face now. A few more touches of detail - the embroidery on Zacharias' coat, swirling vines on the green fabric of Prunella's dress, some rays of light and texture on the map - and our Sorcerers Royal are complete.